Skip to main content

Theatrical Nature Project.

Back in January a friend of mine who is studying theatrical make-up asked if I would make her a strapless top to go with her nature themed project, so of course I said yes. 

 She wanted a top based on the image above, so we discussed some ideas and decided to go for a lace-ed up effect directly on the fabric itself rather than a cut out panel which although basic, should have a similar effect as the image above as I only had a few weeks to make it.

I did a few quick sketches, with the idea of the lace up sides being so she could insert rose's like in the first image and hopefully they would stay in place.

I even did a small sampe of the effect I wanted to create, so we could both have an idea of how it would look  obviously it would be larger on the actual top and I would do tiny diagonal button holes to insert the ribbon so it would look nice and neat, I even designed the pattern and made a toile........

...........However two weeks into the project I started a new job which left little to complete the project coupled with my friend being in college and not having much time to source the material, ribbon and zip to make it and the fact she lives 10miles away meant that the project didn't get completed, but I'm intreagued to see what the finished piece will look like so I'm going to complete the project when I have time and with a few addidtions: I want to underline the top as this is something I've read upon and was recently reminded about in a post by casey's elegant musings  and I would like to do a painted on piece inside the lace-up design inspired by the fabric I used in my last post .

A quick illustration of the bodice I did last week I was trying to create an earth-real feel to it??!!

I'm looking forward to completing the project so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later....

Thanks for looking x x


  1. That first pic look seriously freaky! Love the illustration though!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Sewing Fashion Trends: Joggers

Sport luxe is pretty popular right now with the cuffed jogger being top of the list. I think is a good basic to own for those day where your mostly at home but might need to pop out a few times to run errands. 
Comfy enough to relax in, stylish enough to pop out in. I even like the more high end look of pairing them with heels and a jacket, but for me I'd probably stick to a slip on trainer style shoe and slouchy off the shoulder T.
What I really like about this trend that when it comes to sewing it, the indie patterns are running the race. Burda of course are always there, but I'm struggling to find any looks from the other big pattern companies- Go Indie's:
A Closer Look At The Patterns....
 Papercut Pattern: Anima Pant

Described as a 'must have staple' I think these are pretty cool, I also love how they come with three variation, full length, 3/4 pants and shorts. Papercut are also running a anima competition right now if your interested.  

 True Bias: The Hudson …

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)

What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.

2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…