Skip to main content

Self drafted: Tea length dress.

Now before anyone asks, the dress isn't for me !!!!

I bought this material a while back without really knowing what to make out of  it but an image of a tea length wedding dress with classic styling and a dropped waist kept popping in to my head, so I rolled with this idea for a while and sketched some images. Since that wasn't enough to make the idea go away I knew I had to make the dress out of this material which has a bow and flower pattern on it.
It's a bit of a random make but because I really like sewing I tend to make things just for the hell of it!! usually it's just to push myself, test my nerve and try my skill. 

The toile/mock-up

 I drafted the bodice block pattern from the Winifred Aldrich book. Why I choose the 'bodice' block is anyone's guess, I should of used the dress block instead, seen as it is a dress I'm making, so after shaping the neck line and constructing a circle skirt I made the toile.  I made a few minor alterations to the pattern (smooth the neck line curve, reduce the shoulder width). I started cutting out the fabric and then realised I didn't have enough for the circle skirt I tried all ways but it was just not possible to get a circle skirt out of it and I didn't want to order more fabric. so I did a gathered skirt instead.

Shoulder Detail

The little bows I was experimenting a few weeks ago were for this dress, I used a wave type of embroidery stitch for the edge of the bows and sewed them on to the shoulders, The dress isn't with out problems though.............

A Hole

I don't think you can see it too well in these photo's but when I attached the skirt to the top I caught the material in the over-locker creating a small hole!! I stable-ised the hole using interfacing on the underside and then darned the hole to make sure it wouldn't get bigger, but even thought the hole was fixed I was still unhappy about the mend being visible so after much debating I decided on attaching a band round the waist with the same wave stitching at the bows so it ties in.


 I not only lined dress but also underlined it too (get me!!). I used cream as the white material was very cool almost harsh colour so by using the cream it has warmed the white up.
I choose to make use of the circle skirt pattern i'd made so I used it to create the lining it also helps to poof the fabric skirt out. I used tulle as trim on the bottom of the dress which I ruffled. I attached the tulle to the lining but made it long enough so it peaked out of the dress fabric.


Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

Another week another round up! Sewing and fashion inspirations ......

Images all from pinterest.

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....

As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.