Skip to main content

Burdastyle: Are going fishing or exploring top?


Hurray I've completed my first make of 2012. I opted for something easy but also something I knew I would wear. The top (see image above) was featured in December's burda magazine and was quite the thing. I think it's pattern number 109 style B.

It's a very simple loose fittling top with 3/4 sleeves, perfect for this time of year. The top is suppose to have a zip in the back but I ommited this as I didn't think it needed it.
 Rather than make a toile/muslin, I loosely based the sides and shoulders together and tried it on. I decided to take the sides in a touch just to add a little shape to the waist. 
I love this top. As an everday wearable item, it does the job nicely. I'm also a fan of 3/4 sleeves so this ticked all the boxes. I made it around two weeks ago and have already worn it a good few times.




I wanted to take a picture of me actually out shopping with it on, but the first time I forgot my camera and then the next two times it was raining.

The details.



 It was a really simple make, in fact the hardest part was tracing the pattern from Burda's mass of coloured lines.  The top featured a doped sleeve with this awkward shaped angle, which was fiddly to put in but once you eased the sleeve in, it was fine.


I applied a thin line of interfacing all the way around the edge of the neckline and the sleeve to stop the material from stretching and loosing it's shape as it was stating to frey. The material feels like a thin wool blend with a dog tooth pattern on it. it can be a little harsh on the eyes from far away but does feel very nice.





I know burda patterns are synonymous for not adding seam allowance and as this top was loose fitting I only added seam allowance to the shoulders, sleeves and hem which worked out fine.
The banding for the neckline and hem was drafted out separately . Burda gave the exact measurements to conduct this including and finished widths but as I was attaching the band-ings I felt they could of had and an extra 1.5cm so the raw edge could be neatly folded under and top stitched as instructed, but the measurements burda gave meant there wasn't enough material to neatly turn the raw edge under. Instead I over-locked mine before stitching in place.
The banding was also cut on the bias which was my first footsteps into cutting on the bias.

I do love this little top, so I would like to make few more. A slightly longer version in jersey, one with an exposed chunky metal zip and one with more style lines and contrasting colour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)


What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prep:
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.




2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…