Skip to main content

Sewing: Self-Drafted high- waisted shorts.

Another make from back in febuary. I self drafted the shorts which was loosly based on this pattern. The changes I made were to lengthen the shorts and make them high waisted. I also pleated the waist band which flares out at the top but is kept under control by a fabric tie/belt. 

I've wanted to make a pair of these shorts ever since I did this design for then. 

                                   
second one in, in-case your wondering.

They went together well and fit like a glove all-though perhaps a little more ease wouldn't go a miss. I initially imagined these as winter shorts that I would wear with thick black tights but I think they should serve me all year round as they look fine with out tights too.





The black lines you can see are not snags but cotton threads tut-tut!!




Another make that I'm pleased with. the only downside is that pocket bags were attached a bit to close to the the pocket opening making them paritally visible. This is also some thing I've had problems with before but I hope to address it the next time I make selfdrafted shorts. I think where I go wrong is that after adding 1.5cm seam allowance I think that by rounding the seam allowance up to 2cm will do the job nicely, except that it's only leaving the pocket bag 0.5cm from the pocket edge opening. I hope that if I add another 2cm onto the original seam allowance the pocket bags should sit nicely inside the shorts with-out being visible.

Another tut-tut, pocket bags being visible.

The low down

Material: I think it's possibly tweed dogtooth, it's a bit on the scratchy side too any yes! it's been washed haha!!

Pattern: self drafted using the Winifred Aldrich tailored trouser block done to personal measurement. Then adapted to contain pockets and a pleated waist band.

make again: yes.

Do differently: sort out the pocket bags showing, more pleated in the waist band and I would also line the waist band so it looks neater, at present I only overlocked and stitched a narrow hem which looks cheep!!
-

In other news:

I also bagged myself a new job yesterday!! Working in a craft shop that is opening in my local shopping center. The shop also offers craft workshops too. I'm excited to start but it's not for another month yet!
I still plan to open up an etsy shop as a side business, but having this job also will provide me with a much more stable income which is what I really need right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

All images from Pinterest.

Don't forget you can pin these images to your own boards, just hover over each image and look for the little 'p' in the top left corner.