Skip to main content

Sewing: Toiling the trench coat.

you'll have to excuse my toiling abilities in these photos, I only have one sleeve attached- I blame college for my bad habits!!! You may wonder why- it was because we worked to strict deadlines we used to only toile with one sleeve, perhaps no facing and with pockets only drawn on, just to save time which ment we had longer to sew the actual garment, our tutors also use to check our garments thoroughly and would root out any major flaws so they could be amened. (only at college level hey!!) 

I don't always toile but I though it would be a good idea as I've never made a coat before so it would be like a trial run I guess?
The material I used to toile with was given to me it's been in my stash for a while and I have no idea what to make with us and because I need to run my stash down using it as toiling material seems like a good option. I think it's twill which is a good thing as it's similar to the actual coat material I will be using.

The front facing turned the front  hem allowance up but in my lazy-ness I didn't bother sewing the back of the hem, so that's why it looks a bit up and down.

 The side view (excuse my non enthusiastic look)

The Fit:
I cut the smallest size on this pattern which was a 10.It  fits fine over my bust and the shoulders but the waist looks a little baggy and even though it will be pulled in at the waist with a belt, I've decided to take the sides in a fraction.

The length:
This is way too long for my liking, I will be shortening it to around 4cm above my knee.

The sleeve:
Unusually the sleeve, which is not hemmed by the way, looks to be about the right length, result- I would have expected it to be a bit on the long side.

This coat has welt pockets,  something I've never done before so I thought I would give them ago on my toile. The first one went a bit wonky but in my defence the instructions that came with the pattern contained no diagrams only text and left me a bit bamboozled, as it turned out I was heading in the right direction and I completed the second pocket successfully.

I'm undecided weather to pipe the coat or not? It wouldn't be all over, just down the front, on the storm flaps and around the sleeve straps. button choices are also driving me nuts too, I must of spent well over an hour and half on sunday searching ebay for buttons, originally I was going to go for black buttons as the coat itself will be a beige/stone colour, but I think that maybe brown or a tortoise shell patterned buttons would look more expensive on beige than black? what do you think?

 Also this trench coat hasn't got a full lining only front facings so I'm going to attempt to line it too!!

one other note is that I'm not quite sure when I will start or finish this coat as I'm away next week then I start my new job straight after I come back so time is really not of the essence but I hope to get it done before the start of summer (fingers crossed that is)!!


  1. I think black buttons may look a little too harsh, brown or tortoise shell may be the answer or self cover buttons in a contrast colour? Just to throw something else in the mix!

    Yeah, maybe getting this done before your new job starts is a little ambitious, especially since you want to line it as well! I'm liking the piping idea, hope you go with that.

  2. Oo yes self cover buttons could well be an option!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Sewing Fashion Trends: Joggers

Sport luxe is pretty popular right now with the cuffed jogger being top of the list. I think is a good basic to own for those day where your mostly at home but might need to pop out a few times to run errands. 
Comfy enough to relax in, stylish enough to pop out in. I even like the more high end look of pairing them with heels and a jacket, but for me I'd probably stick to a slip on trainer style shoe and slouchy off the shoulder T.
What I really like about this trend that when it comes to sewing it, the indie patterns are running the race. Burda of course are always there, but I'm struggling to find any looks from the other big pattern companies- Go Indie's:
A Closer Look At The Patterns....
 Papercut Pattern: Anima Pant

Described as a 'must have staple' I think these are pretty cool, I also love how they come with three variation, full length, 3/4 pants and shorts. Papercut are also running a anima competition right now if your interested.  

 True Bias: The Hudson …

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)

What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.

2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…