Skip to main content

Burda Dress Toile

Don't you just love snow days :) with all this white stuff around it's allowed for more sewing time. so the dress I wanted to make last September is finally getting a look-in. It's the Matthew Williamson Dress from 09/2012 edition of burda,  pattern #134 

Because of the style line on the dress and the lovely fabric I've chosen  I decided to toile the dress. It was a good decision too. Seen as I'm more of a jump straight in kinda gal.

 The fabric I've used to toile is actually from a pair of left over curtains, their very itchy though!!! My major bug bear was the pockets that this pattern has, good concept  but from the side they look awful, all jutting out and creating weird angles.

This pattern does requires some tweaks (see below)

I may even toile again, just to make sure the pocket removal goes to plan.

And once I'm convinced it's perfected, This gorgeous fabric will be it's destination.


  1. It's going to look great! The clean lines of the dress will look great with the busy print! I would also remove the pockets, the lines of the dress will be more flattering and it will look better with that gorgeous fabric. Will it not work with just re-sewing the toile? Of course, sometimes it's easier to make a new toile than to rip the old =)

    It'll be a beautiful dress, I'm sure!

    1. I hope so, I've been wanting to make this dress for so long :)
      I'm going to try and reuse the skirt part of the toile but I think the top part of the dress will need re cutting.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Sewing Fashion Trends: Joggers

Sport luxe is pretty popular right now with the cuffed jogger being top of the list. I think is a good basic to own for those day where your mostly at home but might need to pop out a few times to run errands. 
Comfy enough to relax in, stylish enough to pop out in. I even like the more high end look of pairing them with heels and a jacket, but for me I'd probably stick to a slip on trainer style shoe and slouchy off the shoulder T.
What I really like about this trend that when it comes to sewing it, the indie patterns are running the race. Burda of course are always there, but I'm struggling to find any looks from the other big pattern companies- Go Indie's:
A Closer Look At The Patterns....
 Papercut Pattern: Anima Pant

Described as a 'must have staple' I think these are pretty cool, I also love how they come with three variation, full length, 3/4 pants and shorts. Papercut are also running a anima competition right now if your interested.  

 True Bias: The Hudson …

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)

What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.

2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…