Skip to main content

Button Mixed Media Illustration

I was hoping to have this button mixed illustration done last week.
The snag- I run out of yellow buttons!! Typical really, I picked up two packets of  buttons thinking it would be more than enough for the illustration but the button packs were mixed colours (yellow and lilac) it turned out that I was about five buttons short!! So it was put on hold until I picked up another packet.
Then came another snag with the buttons, whilst I had to wait until I could get the extra buttons, the glue I had used to stick the buttons to the paper (PVA Glue) wasn't adhering the buttons properly.
 To remedy this I put a layer of PVA on top of the buttons to keep them in place, thinking the PVA would dry clear - normally it does, but no such luck. The PVA had left a residue which had significantly dulled the surface of the pearly buttons. But at least the buttons stay in place.


What I did enjoy about working with the buttons is they they add a sewing element to my illustration, plus it's nice to work with something other than markers and paint from time to time!

 In a way I'm glad the buttons didn't turn out perfect, as I'm not taken with how the illustration itself came out either. I went over board with the outlining. The girls face looks surly, and the skin tone is off too, but it's a good starting point.

I'm also thinking this type of mixed media illustration would look good on an artist canvas for hanging in a sewing room! Hmm now that's an idea!!


Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....

As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)

What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.

2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…