Sewing Fashion trends: Check shirts

Now I'm not normally one for check shirts, but I'm slowly warming to them. I had a short sleeve one a few years back and found it quite versatile, for not only wearing it on it's own but layering it too, and this year with heaps of them on the high street my fancy is one again tickled. I especially took a liking to a chambray version with blue check sleeves only I can't remember where I seen it, so I'm a guess I'm going to just have to make one.

If you too are hankering for a check shirt then I hope my research and finds might help you! 

Visual Inspiration ......








Pop boutique checked flannel shirt £25


The idea of combining similar check patterns on one shirt gives a cool quirky effect, but a check shirt with lace panels well that's almost quite elegant really. The sleeveless version would work wonders for a causal evening at the pub with leggings and ankle boots, or glamed up for night on the tiles and tucked into a leather skater style skirt. However you can't go wrong with a general over sized check shirt perfect for layering on cold wet windy winter-days worn with skinnys and biker boots, or pared with cowboy boots for a more authentic look! 

Which would you choose?


Pattern Inspiration....

 Simplicity pattern S2447 Misses tops

A good option if like me your not quite sure which check shirt you'd make, you've got your general style, tunic style which is perfect for combining two fabrics and the your sleeveless.



I love the clean lines of this pattern, it's got a slim silhouette which would look great on a slender or small framed figure as it wouldn't  swamp you! it could also be lengthened if it was to be worn as layered, or what about cropping it to the natural waist and wearing it with high waist jeans or with a skirt for an über cool look?



Wouldn't this burda pattern be great for inserting lace panels? Just cut out the shoulder pieces in a separate fabric you could even do the same on the back?



For your general all purpose boyfriend style check shirt, this men's shirt by hot patterns would do the trick and you could even make one for your other half too so he doesn't feel left out.

I'm learning more to the simplicity pattern but what do you think which pattern would you choose? 


Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

  1. I never really liked check shirts either, but seeing them everywhere lately, I must admit they've grown on me. I love the lace idea, (well not for 110GBP though), it does look very elegant, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checkered shirts isn't really my cup of tea when it comes to my own wardrobe, but I love seeing it worn with style on others. I can totally see you pulling off the tunic-version of the simplicity pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Hopefully I can make one soon instead of it getting bumped down my sewing to-do list.

      Delete

Post a Comment