Skip to main content

How to: Sewing a snood with a French seam (part 2)



Hiya! Yesterday I shared with you how I stamped my fabric and today I'll show you how I sewed it together (It's super easy). I'll also show you how I created a French seam too.
Although it was really easy, I loved making this scarf (good for instant gratification). Hand stamping the fabric was the really fulfilling part knowing that it's a unique one of a kind print ;) I've worn the scarf a few times and it's received compliments too, which is always nice :) 

Sewing up the scarf



Once the fabric is cut and stamped and I began by joining the two edges together to create the circle, thus making it a snood. With this type of scarf a French seam tends to be the neatest when joining it together and it gives it a really sturdy nice finish too.

To create a French seam I began by placing the wrong sides of fabric together and pining in place. 




I then stitched the fabric with a small  0.5cm seam allowance and trimmed any loose threads from the fabric. ( opps don't look to closely as this pic, I swear I did trim this right after I took it ;) 



 I turned the fabric inside out to the wrong side of the material and pressed along the top of the seam I had just created, so the seam edge is running right along the top of the fabric and the seam allowance is sandwiched between the two layers of fabric. I then pined the seam in place.


From here I stitched a 1cm seam allowance which will fully encase the first seam I made and stop it from fraying. My french seam is now complete. Really simple, just a bit confusing working wrong sides together first as you feel it's about to come out wrong.


Once I'd finished the French seam, I open the fabric out and press the seam allowance to one side.


There it is a lovely neat concealed seam on the right side of the fabric with a finish to match on the wrong side.

Hemming around the edges of the scarf


once I created the french seam I then hemmed right around both sides of the scarf. The hem I sewed is a narrow folded hem or sometimes called a baby hem. I turned over 1cm of fabric on the wrong side and press it in place. 


I then turned this hem over on it's self once again, so the raw edge is now completely hidden and pined in place. Generally a baby hem is usually only turned over about 0.5cm first and the second time you turn the fabric on you make that seam 1cm but I was being lazy and opted for 1cm for both turns.


Once the hem is pined I stitch as close to the hem edge as I can. I find it easier to turn the fabric on to the wrong side to do this so I can gauge better how close the stitching is to the edge. I did this for both sides of the scarf, and gave it a quick press with the iron and it's finished!

hem seen from the wrong side 

Hem seen from the right side


Hey, presto you now have a circle scarf, or to give it it's proper name, which I thick is the worst name ever a Snood!

Alternatives/Tips

If you wanted to make a scarf like this you might not want to make a 'snood' scarf so you could try hemming all the way around the scarf without joining the two ends and this would make a long scarf or cut it to a more suitable size before making a normal scarf.

If your sewing with georgette or chiffon, I would still highly recommend a French seam to join the ends, but as for the baby hem you may want to make it smaller like say 0.5cm for both turns to create more of a rolled hem or just cheat and use the over locker to create a rolled or turned under hem.

To see part one, 'How to stamp your fabric' Click Here 

Hope you enjoyed my 'How To' which I should really call 'How I'. 

Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

All images from Pinterest.

Don't forget you can pin these images to your own boards, just hover over each image and look for the little 'p' in the top left corner.