Sewing Fashion Trends: Over-Sized Coats

I love a good winter coat or several, and this season I adore all the coloured ones than turned up on the runway, pastel blues and pinks through to bright colours like yellow and blue. It such a change to the usual blacks and greys  and I don't know about you but a nice pop of colour in the winter months helps to brighten my mood.








There are a lot of oversized shapeless silhouettes around, which look great worn open and perfect for layering this time of year.
Colour wise my personal favourites are the blush pink and pastel blue they are a contrast in fact a polar opposite to the grey drab of winter and would really perk me up. 
Although I'm struggling to come across affordable pastel colour coats on the high street, I'm sure I did see a pale pink one somewhere! Luckily there are plenty of coat patterns  and coloured fabrics to sew with! 

 Before we take a look at possible patterns to achieve this look, I've noticed a big difference when it comes to patterns ratings especially with coats. This occurs more with vogue where they rate a pattern beginner and I'm looking at it thinking it's more intermediate and then vice versa, obviously from my point of view I think most coats should be rated intermediate but I'll talk about this as we go along.



The lady grey is my absolute favourite coat pattern, and would look really chic in pastel blue which would compliment it's feminine shape!
This pattern rating is advanced, truthfully I would let that put me off. There is quite a bit of fabric to deal with, but the seam lines are straight forward and I don't believe there to be any pockets. So on a personal level I would say it's a solid intermediate! 

The sleeves swayed me on this pattern and minus the belt it's shapeless. The short sleeves are over sized and short which is a nice small twist on the runway versions. This coat is most definitely crying out for a bold colour or print, maybe a pastel yellow would cut it too!
This pattern is rated as very easy, but it does contain side pockets. The buttons are snaps so that makes it easy but the fabric choices given are tweed, flannel and denim, which are easy to work but thick fabrics can be tricky and adds bulk. Whilst this is certainly easier than the lady grey, I wouldn't say it's very easy taken from a general view point. Advanced beginner would be my choice, someone who gasps sewing quickly or has made a good selection of basic skirts/tops would likely to handle this with ease. 


   

I do love this coat, one of the burda members recently made this up and it looked fab. I wouldn't know what colour fabric to make it in as I think it could take all manor of colours. 
For the pattern rating I think vogue are out again. I'd say this is edging on advanced, there is a lot of top-stitching, three piece sleeve, shoulder pads , side front pockets and over lapped seams the upside is there's no lining.



I really love the cut and style on this coat and it's one of those that would look great in most colours, personally I would avoid anything to lurid or acid green type.
Burda are pretty true with their ratings and marked this one as intermediate. There are no lapels but there are hidden pockets to contend with and some interesting seam lines too! 

How do you determine if a pattern is at your skill level? Why I always say coats are for intermediates is that they usually contain collars, sleeves, linings and pockets, usually the fabrics are quite thick to handle so for me that is more intermediate, do you agree?


Follow on Bloglovin

Comments