Skip to main content

Bustier and panties set No. 2

After my first attempt in delving into underwear sewing, I had to have a second attempt.
This one turned out pretty good, not too much to say other than I added straps, padded out the bustier and made it a touch smaller.

When I ordered the fabric for this make, the company set me the wrong one.
It. Was. Hideous!
so much so that when I got in-touch to arrange a return the company told me to keep the wrong fabric (or donate it to charity) and they would send me the right fabric with no additional cost. Excellent service from them, but truthfully I wonder if they would have done the same thing had the fabric not been so hideous!

I padded out this bralet using cotton batting and covered this using lining. I would of preferred lining in black but I had a lot of white left from another project. Yay for stash busting!

Straps were a must this time round. I used my mannequin's shoulders as a guided of where to cross the straps and to stop them cross over from moving around I tacked them in place.

You can see in the photo below the zip is navy - again stash busting but the zip went in really well that you can't see any of it, so a little black nail varnish will do to cover the zipper pull.

I mostly used the overlocker for this make, but the edging and top stitching were done using my sewing machine.

I think it's time I took the plunge and made an actual bra. Any tips on which pattern to try first, that might also be beginner friendly too?


  1. I follow a talented sewist who makes her own bras all the time. Her writeups about the patterns are super detailed and you might find it useful!

  2. Beautiful. xx


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Sewing Fashion Trends: Joggers

Sport luxe is pretty popular right now with the cuffed jogger being top of the list. I think is a good basic to own for those day where your mostly at home but might need to pop out a few times to run errands. 
Comfy enough to relax in, stylish enough to pop out in. I even like the more high end look of pairing them with heels and a jacket, but for me I'd probably stick to a slip on trainer style shoe and slouchy off the shoulder T.
What I really like about this trend that when it comes to sewing it, the indie patterns are running the race. Burda of course are always there, but I'm struggling to find any looks from the other big pattern companies- Go Indie's:
A Closer Look At The Patterns....
 Papercut Pattern: Anima Pant

Described as a 'must have staple' I think these are pretty cool, I also love how they come with three variation, full length, 3/4 pants and shorts. Papercut are also running a anima competition right now if your interested.  

 True Bias: The Hudson …

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)

What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.

2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…