Skip to main content

Second term in uni / Distortion dress

In a blink of an eye, my first year as a fashion design student is over. I'm feeling mixed emotions, in a good way. Relief that it's done, shock that it went so quickly and now a feeling of emptiness, or more like I'm not use to not having nothing to do. Such a different time and feeling to this time last year.

I've had a ball in my first year, I've loved it and exceeded myself with how well I have done. It's certainly cemented my love for fashion design even further.

-

My second term project in uni, was to design and make a dress on the theme of distortion, culminating in a 'innovative dress', Along with this, the module required illustration work, a short film of the design process, a digital portfolio, working portfolio, two sketchbooks, sample file, toile, pattern and specification drawing of dress. Along with the written modules that focus on fashion history (an illustrated essay- I did mine on fashion production in the Victorian period),  and an industry module 'contextualizing' myself, (talking about what I feel is important in the fashion industry, sustainability, ethics, authenticity and so on).

-

This is the result of my second term module: here I've shown pages from my digital portfolio, , mood-boards, toile development, finished garment and illustration of garment...






-

Diversity Project:
Along with distortion we did a 'live brief' about diversity in the fashion industry hosted by all walks beyond the catwalk and i-D magazine , where we had illustrate how we see diversity. This was a competition brief and I entered the below illustration. 



With this competition it was open world wide, and only three students from our year could be put forward, I un-expectantly was one of those students.   


More dress images....




This was my dress, using inspiration from ice and cut stonesto come up with this 3D design. The bodice is princess seamed with 3D triangles attached to the center with larger 3D triangles attached to the shoulders to create a spiked effect. 
The skirt is made using 3D squares that are sewing together in blocks and columns and attached to the bodice. It has a center back zip, and is fully lined with a bagged lining for the skirt so the inside of the squares are completely hidden. 
The 3D shapes were all made using the method outline in the pattern magic 3 book

Overall a crazy spiky design but one that I'm pleased with. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)


What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prep:
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.




2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…