Skip to main content

Innocent crush dress- Simplicity Project Runway 2588 .

Some of you may remember this post about choosing a dress pattern, for a wedding I was attending. well I opted for the project runway pattern choosing the sleeveless pattern

The pattern
I decided to only use the bodice pattern that came with the project runway and drafted my own pattern for the skirt, as I wanted a circle skirt.
This was the first time I'd drafted a circle skirt and it was easy and much less fiddly than I thought, I used the Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting book for reference, where you can either draft a 1/4 circle skirt which means it would have four panels to construct or half a circle skirt with only two panels. I also choose to move the zip from the center back to the right side I also didn't bother using the waist details that came with the pattern and decided to keep it plain.

pattern pieces.

( I made copies of the pattern to work on instead of using the original as it's easier to work on and allows for mistakes and I use spot and cross paper to draft my own patterns which is marked at  1cm intervals for accuracy)

The Toile

I made a toile first, to check for length and fit before making the dress. There was only a small problem, which was the back gaping but this was easily corrected when I realised I need to take out the the seam allowance on the center back because I moved the zip. The fit was nice but could of been a little more snug but I was happy to leave it as it was.

The fabric I chose was turn of events in plum from the innocent crush range by Anna Maria Horner, a bold print with a layered effect which reminded me of the effect lino printing can produce, which I covered in college.

This is a bit unusual for me as I don't go for bold prints or plum colours usually  but I really like the fabric and thought it was different so I went for it!!!

The dress

This is what it looked like made up. I'm really pleased with it and although I made a toile which should of eliminated any problems, the skirt pattern ended up being wider than the fabric and longer than the fabric which was only 44in  wide. Although I bought 2meters it wasn't quite enough so rather than buy any more fabric I took 3cm off the side and 5cm off the hem!!! The hem shortened, turned out to look better but the 3cm removal off the side is NOT recommended!! It meant a lot of fiddling and a slight gathered look in the back. Despite this I  think it's the nicest thing I've made for myself so far.

The dress was also fully lined with a dusky coloured pink lining material. A hand sewing hem. Princess seams from the underarms on the front and darts on the back. The lining is something I normally don't do as I'm a fan of facings but I'm glad I put it in as I think it added to the quality of the dress but my sewing skills on lining material need some work!!

The wedding was Saturday just gone, I would of liked a nice bolero jacket and plain peep to shoes go with the dress but I ran out of time *note to self: must be more organised and forward thinking.
It was a fab day and I had some lovely comments on my dress too which is always nice but more so since I made it :)

Thanks for looking x x


  1. Great! That dress is really beautiful! It looks wonderful on you, I'm sure you was the center of attention at the party.

  2. Pretty dress! I love your fabric choice. It looks like it sells at anthropologie:)


  3. You look gorgeous! I love the off centre flower on the front of the bodice.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....

As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

Another week another round up! Sewing and fashion inspirations ......

Images all from pinterest.