The black dress I spoke about in ' whats on my sewing table' post is done and dusted! I correct my stupid mistake by rummaging through my fabric stash and finding a piece of black crystal organza, which I used as an overlay to the original pattern piece, this time making sure to cut on the fold.
I did sew up the center seam on the original piece but only with a 0.5cm seam allowance so it wouldn't alter the size too much, and then layered the organza over this, stitching it in place.
The material I used was another piece I had given me, it's a cotton twill type of fabric with a nice weight.
The pattern was one of the free ones I got with sew magazine a while back (it's the first pattern shown here), and is one of their own designs, which tend to be a generous fit. Usually I would make a size 10 if using a simplicity or a burda pattern so that it's not too tight on my bust, but I choose the size 8 for this and boy am I glad.
The dress is an easy fitting style with only small bust darts so it's pretty shapeless and baggy around my waist.
I wouldn't normally go for a shapeless dress, they tend to swamp me as I'm fairly short, but I think it will work well as a casual day dress and also because I shortened the dress a concidrable amount it doesn't swamp me too much either other wise I think I would of resembled a bin bag!!!
I'm not sure about this dress. The contrast panel adds a little interest and stops it becoming boring I think, but the fit needs work!
I would like to make this dress in a more drapey cotton or even a light wool in a aubergine or mustard colour, but I think I would consider droping the bodice panel at least 3cm and taking the sides in a little.