Skip to main content

Sewing:Black Day Dress

The black dress I spoke about in ' whats on my sewing table' post is done and dusted! I correct my stupid mistake by rummaging through my fabric stash and finding a piece of black crystal organza, which I used as an overlay to the original pattern piece, this time making sure to cut on the fold. 
 I did sew up the center seam on the original piece but only with a 0.5cm seam allowance so it wouldn't alter the size too much, and then layered the organza over this, stitching it in place.
The material I used was another piece I had given me, it's a cotton twill type of fabric with a nice weight.

The Front.



The Back.

Organza Overlay 

The pattern was one of the free ones I got with sew magazine a while back (it's the first pattern shown here), and is one of their own designs, which tend to be a generous fit. Usually I would  make a size 10 if  using a simplicity or a burda pattern so that it's not too tight on my bust, but I choose the size 8 for this and boy am I glad. 
The dress is an easy fitting style with only small bust darts so it's pretty shapeless and baggy around my waist.
 I wouldn't normally go for a shapeless dress, they tend to swamp me as I'm fairly short, but I think it will work well as a casual day dress and also because I shortened the dress a concidrable amount it doesn't swamp me too much either other wise I think I would of resembled a bin bag!!!




                                              I can also wear it with a belt to give me more shape.


I'm not sure about this dress. The contrast panel adds a little interest and stops it becoming boring I think, but the fit needs work!
I would like to make this dress in a more drapey cotton or even a light wool in a aubergine or mustard colour, but I think I would consider droping the bodice panel at least 3cm and taking the sides in a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday.....

I think it's well over due for an inspiration Wednesday! So here goes.....






As always images are from Pinterest, to see more like this you can follow my Garment Details board here.

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Inspiration Wednesday.....

All images from Pinterest.

Don't forget you can pin these images to your own boards, just hover over each image and look for the little 'p' in the top left corner.