Skip to main content

So far in 2012....

I think it might be fun to do a round up of things I've recently learnt and where I am with 12 in 2012. So here goes.

Things I've learnt.


1. Not to underestimating the overlocker!      
 The overlocker does just more than one type of stitch don't you know, well I forgot. In january I was having a good old mess around getting the rolled stitch to operate successfully when I rediscovered it also does a neat narrow hem not as small as a rolled hem but quite nice non-the less and that I can also change length and the width of the stitches. more Importantly I learnt that there is no need to use the four stitch overlock, on most garments three stitches work just as fine therefore saving thread too- well times are tight!!
2.chalk wheels are the dogs knackers! no seriously my recent chalk wheel purchess has done me the world of good, it makes marking fabric so much easyer as does my fabric marker pen with erasable end too.

3.Tailors ham/ press are also the dogs knackers x2. This has made a massive diffrence to pressing curved seams.

4.when measuring the waist do take into consideration the width on your hips especially if there is a considerable difference, I nearly came a cropper, again! I was making winging a wrap around maxi skirt and for what ever reason only went by my waist measurement, when the time came to try on the skirt I find it to splay right open from just under my lady bits! luckily with some adjustments in the way of extra material disaster was avoided.

Although I'm a late coming to the 12 in 2012 (you can join at any time). It's going well, I've finished my shorts, started on the fascinator making and traced my pattern for the trench coat. I also have my toile/muslin material ready. I'm estimating that the length will need shortening and the coat taking in a little bit as sew magazine who designed the pattern are quite generous. 


I'm thinking of using Gabardine in a classic beige/camel colour. I was going to top stitch the coat in a contrast colour but I think I'll kill two birds with one stone here and pipe the edges of the coat, I'm thinking either black or dark brown? which colour would you go for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration Wednesday....

Images from pintrest

Sewing Fashion Trends: Joggers

Sport luxe is pretty popular right now with the cuffed jogger being top of the list. I think is a good basic to own for those day where your mostly at home but might need to pop out a few times to run errands. 
Comfy enough to relax in, stylish enough to pop out in. I even like the more high end look of pairing them with heels and a jacket, but for me I'd probably stick to a slip on trainer style shoe and slouchy off the shoulder T.
What I really like about this trend that when it comes to sewing it, the indie patterns are running the race. Burda of course are always there, but I'm struggling to find any looks from the other big pattern companies- Go Indie's:
A Closer Look At The Patterns....
 Papercut Pattern: Anima Pant


Described as a 'must have staple' I think these are pretty cool, I also love how they come with three variation, full length, 3/4 pants and shorts. Papercut are also running a anima competition right now if your interested.  

 True Bias: The Hudson …

How To: Inserting a side seam zip with pocket

This skirt was meant to have a center back zip along with side seam pockets. Instead I put the two together and combined the zip into the side seam pocket and thought I would share with you how I did it or basically winged it ;)


What You should Know First:
This is easier than it looks all you need to do is be able to insert an invisible zip. The waist band was faced but I found it easier to attach the facing once the zip was in place.  This skirt also had lining but the lining fabric is treated as a single layer with the fashion fabric.
Prep:
Prior to inserting the zip and pockets and treating the lining and fabric as one layer, I made sure both side seams were over-locked 
Construction Tips: These are by no means a definite way to do this, just the way I did it.  . 

1.  Pocket pieces should be kept separate, which makes it easier to place on the the skirt.




2. Taking the one pocket piece (Ignore that I have two in the pic) I lined it up on the right side of the skirt, with the correspondin…